Technical Writing is a career that offers a variety of writing possibilities. Our Technical Writing course focuses on a reader-centered approach and helps students understand the nature of writing in the workplace. It leads students through the process of creating highly effective letters, proposals, emails, memos, documentation, and reports. Students will learn how to conduct research and appropriately cite sources. Guidelines for persuasive writing and strategies for maintaining readers’ attention are also discussed. Take our Technical Writing course and learn the skills and knowledge you need to start your writing career today!
Enrolling into our Technical Writing course will give students a subscription to Questia! In addition to having access to Questia’s credible, scholarly content from over 75,000 full-text books and 9 million articles, Questia will also provide students with research tutorials that give interactive instruction on how to research and write papers.
After completing this course, you should be able to:
- Describe the characteristics and guidelines of technical writing
- Describe strategies for analyzing your readers and meeting their needs
- Identify the steps for conducting research and preparing for technical writing
- Identify the strategies for reviewing drafts and managing projects
- Identify methods for developing document style, voice, and design elements
Please review the FAQ page at http://www.smu.edu/CAPE/ProfessionalDevelopment/TechnicalWriting/FAQ for policy information.